Guys it is probably not overestimating things to say that the next 72 hours are by far the most critical we have ever face. It is urgent that we not only keep up what we have been doing, but also that we each independently begin making our own personal action plans to increase our voice.
Most of you have already called the legislative hotline, 800-562-6000, many have asked your friends to do the same. This is making a HUGE impact. Do not let public commentary fool you. Much like David Stern members of legislature have public rhetoric that simply is part of the process. EVERY lobbyist, political insider, and legislative aid that we spoke with yesterday said that this still possible and that these efforts are making a difference. Most were stunned by our turnout both on the call lines and in the building.
The big concern today is that after this initial â€œSpurtâ€ of involvement sports fans voices will simply die out. How can we avoid this?
Maybe you have forwarded friends information about the hotline, but know that they are unlikely to make the call without a push. CALL THEM AND PUSH!
Maybe you have forwarded your friends the information already. CALL THEM AND BEG THEM TO CALL THEIR FRIENDS TO DO THE SAME.
Maybe you operate a business or are in sales and have been uncomfortable approaching your clients on this personal/political issue: PICK THOSE WITH WHICH YOU HAVE A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP AND CALL THEM REGARDING THE ISSUE.
Maybe you've called everybody you can think to call: PRINT UP A FLYER(we'll have them shortly or make your own) WITH THE LEGISLATIVE HOTLINE NUMBER AND POST IT IN A SPORTS BAR, SPORTS RELATED BUSINESS, OR EVEN A LUMBER YARD OR HARDWARE SHOP. EXPLAIN TO THE PEOPLE THERE WHY NOW IS THE TIME THEY NEED TO ACTIVELY ENCOURAGE THEIR CUSTOMERS TO MAKE THE CALL.
Plan the places you want to distribute flyers to for tomorrow. Remember we need to educate people that simply putting a flyer up is not enough. THEY HAVE TO ACTIVELY GET PEOPLE TO CALL!
Additionally if you have already called urging support this week it is not too late to call and leave a new message that â€œa letter is not enough.â€
We also need you to think today about who you will call tomorrow. Focus on sports radio and radio stations with sympathetic audiences. In Seattle that could be KISW, KUBE, and others. Around the state we simply NEED people to be calling into radio stations and specifically mentioning the hotline. Before you get on the air ask the producers to provide the legislative hotline number on air during their updates.
Another focus is going to be letters to the editor which need to be sent out either today or tomorrow am. Please send commentary to the Seattle Times, PI, Tacoma News Tribune, and Olympia Herald among others. Letters to the editor are scrutinized quite closely.
Keep up the talking points:
1) This is extremely time sensitive: Must be done before the NBA owners meeting to be effective
2) This is an unprecedented offer of private money that will support the Key Arena and Seattle Center as a whole
3) Even Critics of Arena spending are finding this to be a GOOD DEAL. This bill actually puts MORE money towards public programs in the long term because it finds specific revenue streams to make needed debt paydown and improvements to the Key Arena. If the Sonics leave these items will still need to be done and with no specific revenue streams allocated for them the improvement will have to come from the general fund.
4) The state CAN do this if they so choose. They will have to make an exception to the rule but have the ability if they want.
5) City funds will be collected via a user fee and NO state funds are required. The state is ONLY being asked to authorize King County to collect the funds from existing sources.
I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH TO KEEP YOUR COMMENTARY POLITE. THERE IS NO FASTER WAY TO BE DISREGARDED THAN TO COME ACROSS AS AN "UNRULY SPORTS FAN". IT GIVES THEM AN EXCUSE WHY "THESE PEOPLE" DON'T DESERVE PUBLIC FINANCING
IF YOU INSULT A LEGISLATOR, CHALLENGE THEM, OR ENGAGE IN NAME CALLING YOU ARE HURTING THE CAUSE, NOT HELPING!
I am tired guys. The SOS crew and I need your help.
Make your own personal plan for Monday and Tuesday. Hit them hard!!!!